Thursday, June 10, 2010

Buns, Onions, and Toilet Bowls...

I am finding it so much more difficult to update my blog since I try to stay on top of my facebook, but I'm thinking of starting to lean the other way. Do any of you other bloggers know how to upload a video onto blogspot now that they've changed things a bit?

This week I had my twenty week ultrasound and was thrilled to see little Lucas again, and learn that he appears to have all of his fingers and toes. As much as I still find it hard to believe we are expecting another little one, I'm growing more and more excited to have another son. Watching the boys play is such a delight. Seeing their excitement at having another brother on the way warms my heart. They talk to him, "tickle" him, share their blankets with him, etc.



Eliana, as the Tinerfenos put it, "tiene pilas." (She has batteries, meaning she NEVER stops). She is a delightful girl who is incredibly social but also is developing a spit fire temper. With her personality and looks, it's probably a very good thing she'll have three brothers looking out for her. She does have a bizarre habit of eating the most disgusting and unmentionable items (ie, dog dropping off the sidewalk, rotten onions from behind the garbage, a clod of dirt, ok- maybe they are mentionable). Has anyone else had to deal with this?


Levi has come down with yet another fever, and has had all the lovely flu symptoms to accompany it. Selfishly, I love how cuddly he becomes when sick, but it's hard to see him so miserable. He's made some progress this week with potty training and officially hates diapers and desperately wants to be big. He was 90% potty trained in January before we flew to WA state for several weeks.  On the trip he lost ground and never regained it. But, we're back on the road now anyway. It's been a week of fishing matchbox cars and stuffed animals out of the toilet that he's inadvertently dropped in while taking care of business. He has loved going to Loro Parque which is like a zoo/sea world combo where we can watch sea lion, dolphin, and killer whale shows.


Elijah is turning into a little man who loves to tell "Once upon a time" stories, talk about Jesus returning one day, and is becoming quite a helper and leader among his siblings. Today after successfully choaking down his dinner of chicken stir fry with onion, broccoli, red peppers, and zucchinni, Elijah proclaimed, "I ate my dinner without needing discipline!" After I praised him, he looked up the ceiling and said, "THANK YOU GOD for helping me eat!" Then he looked at me and said, "Maybe we could go to someone else's house and give them all our onions..." Kids say the darnedest things :-) His eyes continue to cross and seem to be getting worse. Tomorrow he has an appointment with a Pediatric Ophthalmologist to get a second opinion, and then I think we'll move to glasses. Here he is with his pet lizard, Hugo, that he caught in our yard (Hugo has since been let free so he can hunt his own bugs and hopefully not die.)



Nathan and I both celebrated birthdays in the last week or so, and I officially crossed into another decade. While I'm feeling older, here I'm considered to be a VERY young mom- in fact, the OB who did my ultrasound yesterday didn't feel like 30 was old enough to decide to have my tubes tied. With endometriosis, a pituitary tumor, a failed vasectomy, and 4 kids four and under... I think I'm ready to make that decision :-)

Here we are before our bid dinner date last week.


We were super blessed by people from FBC and COHBC who sent some really practical yet hugely appreciated things to us via Claire D. THANK YOU for your kindness! We continue to ask for your prayers as we minister here in Tenerife. Right now we have a big focus of learning language and culture and getting our drivers licenses (which includes going to driving school, doing a minimum of 9 hours of driving with an instructor, and taking a difficult test including the minor mechanics of cars and motorcycle specs). So pray we know how to balance those endeavors with raising our kids and doing ministry. Pray also for wisdom with what to do regarding our kids education- it's a much more complex question than we first realized.

Stay tuned for pics of Elijah with his new glasses- though lately all of our kids have been needing glasses....


1 comment:

Michael and Becky said...

Abigail eats tons of nasty stuff too. I don't understand it but she is always eating handfuls of dirt and whatever she find on the ground. Crazy girls!! I'm glad that Elijah's eye this is not anything super serious. It also sounds like there are some good eye docs. Your looking great!! It's hard to believe your due in a few months! My mom got her tubes tied when she was 31 with 4 kids under 5. I think that is is more than valid!! I'm glad to see that your still keeping up your blog. It is defiantly different than FB.